Put the fun back in fitness!
Finding time for exercise is a hassle in itself, even more so when you’re a parent trying to make time to keep your family active regularly. Even when you do get that small window, tiresome physical activity is not exactly a family favorite. It’s suggested that adults get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise a week, while children should get at least 60 minutes of active play time a day.
It’s time to rethink your dull workout routines and get the family moving in a way that is enjoyable for all! Take a look at these tips for some creative and effective workouts:
- Turn Up the Music: Intense dancing is the perfect way to get your blood pumping. Host a family dance contest/routine. Have each family member create their own special dance routine that must last for at least two songs. At the end, with the popular vote, the person with the best dance routine wins!
- Opt for Active Gifts: Whether it be for their birthday or a holiday, give your loved one a gift that ensures physical activity. Gifts like roller blades or a jump rope are perfect for sneaking in some daily exercise.
- Go for Post-Meal Walks: After breakfast, lunch, or dinner, burn off those calories by taking the family out for a walk around the neighborhood. This is excellent for low-key fitness and sets aside time for quality family bonding.
- Make TV Commercials Workout Breaks: No one likes TV commercials, so you might as well jump up for some exercise to distract you until your show or movie comes back on. Something simple like jumping jacks is a great indoor activity that takes up time.
- Keep Track of Activity Hours: Keep an activity log on your refrigerator or pantry door with a number of exercises. Each time someone does one of the exercises, check it off and offer them small a reward like an after dinner treat.
We hope these tips can be useful for you and your family! How do you keep your family active?