This superfood continues to amaze us
By this point, you’ve probably heard about the benefits of avocados and joined in on the avocado craze. It’s no secret that this delicious fruit is packed with tons of vitamins to keep your family healthy. It seems that new developments are popping up every day as to how good this superfood is for you!
Here are some surprising ways that avocados are benefiting your health:
- Protecting against eye disease: Avocados contain carotenoids, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin, which are primarily associated with eye health. They can help protect against macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness, as well as light sensitivity and cataracts.
- Helping your body absorb other carotenoids: Carotenoids are only soluble in fat, not water. Since avocados are made up of healthy monounsaturated fats, they help your body absorb more beneficial carotenoids from other foods they’re paired with.
- Making you feel full: Avocados are chock-full of fiber and can fill you up quickly to avoid overeating. They also can help slow digestion, so you feel fuller longer.
- Lowering cholesterol and blood sugar: They contain oleic acid, which can help lower your cholesterol and improve the body’s ability to detoxify harmful free radicals in the bloodstream after eating. The high levels of potassium in avocados can also help lower your blood pressure and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Lowering the risk of heart disease: Folate is essential for lowering the risk of heart disease. Avocados contain more folate per ounce than any other fruit! It also cuts the risk of birth defects for women who are pregnant.
- Promoting growth and development: For children, the unsaturated fat in avocados can help promote healthy growth and development in the central nervous system and the brain.
Still having trouble convincing your kids to eat avocados? Try making homemade guacamole, sneak them into a burrito, or even disguise them in chocolate fondue! What are your favorite avocado recipes? Share them with us and we’ll repost some of our favorites!