Happy National Pizza Pie Day!
Today is National Pizza Pie Day! There are so many national holidays surrounding pizza, which isn’t surprising since it makes for such a delicious meal.
However, pizza isn’t only limited to the United States; it’s enjoyed worldwide! The pizza topping preferences from each country are based on cultural preferences, availability of local foods and regional tastes.
So today, we decided to explore some of the most popular pizza toppings from around the world:
- United States: I’m sure we’re all familiar with this tasty treat, but our choice of favorite toppings varies from person to person. It also varies from state to state, from Chicago deep dish to New York thin crust. The most popular pizza toppings in the U.S. are pepperoni, sausage, onion, green peppers, mushrooms and extra cheese.
- Australia: Pizza is a popular breakfast food in Australia, topped with ham, bacon and eggs. You can also grab one later on in the day topped with shrimp, pineapple and BBQ sauce.
- Brazil: Brazilians enjoy their pizzas with green peas, corn, raisins, hearts of palm and hard-boiled eggs. This sounds like a very interesting combo, but don’t knock it ‘til you try it!
- Costa Rica: We’ve heard of coconut shrimp, but Costa Rica takes this one step further by using coconut and shrimp as their most popular pizza toppings!
- France: In France, pizzas are often referred to as “tarte flambée” and are made on a very thin crust. Their most popular toppings are bacon, onion and fresh cream.
- Germany: The Germans usually top their pizzas with canned tuna, often accompanied by onions, olives and other veggies.
- Greece: It shouldn’t come as a surprise that these pizzas are usually topped with some of our favorite Greek staples: feta cheese, oregano, olives, fresh tomato, onion, green peppers and pepperoni.
- India: Pizza in India is usually topped with pickled ginger, cottage cheese, minced mutton or tofu. Tikka chicken pizza is also popular, which is chicken in a spicy yogurt sauce.
- Japan: Eel, squid and Mayo Jaga (a combination of mayo, potato and bacon) are all popular pizza toppings in Japan. Another favorite topping is teriyaki chicken!
- Netherlands: In the Netherlands, you can get a “Double Dutch” pizza, which is topped with double meat, double onion and double cheese. They also like to use shawarma, or grilled lamb, as a topping,
- Pakistan: Pizzas in Pakistan usually include curry, chicken tikka or achari chicken (chicken made with spices you would normally use to make Indian pickles.)
- Portugal: The Portuguese love their pizzas with linguica, a garlicky local sausage, or chorizo.
- Russia: The norm in Russia is to top your pizza with tuna, sardines, salmon, mackerel, red herring and onions. This pizza is called Mockba and usually served cold.
- Sweden: This may be the most unusual pizza topping combination we could find. In Sweden, pizzas are often topped with peanuts, chicken, bananas, pineapple and curry!
Here’s to hoping you can fill your bento box with a pizza made with your favorite toppings today!