Find Your Zen
At Bentology, we’re dedicated to living a healthy lifestyle in whatever ways we can. You’ve probably heard that meditation has its benefits, including less anxiety, deeper relaxation, and lower blood pressure, among many others. However, only 8 percent of adults in the United States practice some form of meditation.
Maybe you’re interested in meditation, but you’re not sure where to start. We have some tips on how to bring meditation into your life- there’s no right or wrong way to do it!
- Start with just two minutes of meditation every morning (you can even meditate in bed!) Set a timer, so you eliminate the distraction of continuously checking the clock.
- Remove distractions. Turn off your phone and place it far away from you, preferably in a different room. Shut the door to your room and if you need to, ask your family to let you have some quiet time for ten minutes.
- Practice mindful breathing. Focus your attention on your breath and on how your body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. If your mind wanders, don’t fret and simply return to focusing on your breathing. If you have too much on your mind, try counting the seconds during each inhale and exhale.
- Try a guided meditation if you’re struggling. You might find it easier to focus if you’re following someone else’s instructions. We like the Stop, Breathe & Think app, which develops a guide based on how you’re feeling. If you’re using the app on your phone, just make sure to turn off sounds and vibrate, so you won’t have any distractions.
- Increase your meditation time at a pace that feels right for you. Adding two minutes each week is usually a good pace for beginners. After a month, you’ll be a pro at clearing your mind for 10 minutes!
- Don’t worry about technique. Everyone worries that they are meditating wrong if they’re not used to it. It doesn’t matter where or how you sit, as long as it is a quiet place without distractions.
- Let go of expectations. Chances are, you won’t feel a sense of enlightenment the first time you meditate, or even after the first couple of times. Be patient and realize that noticing and observing your own sensations, thoughts, and feelings is the most important part of any practice.
Introducing meditation into your normal routine can help you on your path to a healthy lifestyle. Make use of your Portion Perfect system to help you further improve your healthy lifestyle with mindful eating and exercising! For even more tips on meditation, this article has some great pointers for beginners.