Snack on these for your health
It’s so important to include a variety of fruits in your diet, as they contain essential vitamins and minerals. Many fruits are also ideal for lowering your blood sugar and are a diabetes-friendly snack.
The American Diabetes Association points out that many types of fruit also have fiber, which can help curb cravings, make you feel fuller longer, and help to regulate blood sugar levels.
Next time you get the craving for something sweet, reach for a piece of fruit. Just remember to stick to fresh or frozen fruits, as they won’t contain added sugar.
These are the best fruits for lowering your blood sugar:
- Cherries: Cherries are a low-GI food and contain lots of healthy antioxidants. They’re also good for fighting inflammation. Cherries are delicious both fresh and frozen!
- Peaches/Apricots: Both peaches and apricots are an excellent source of vitamin A and fiber. Peaches also contain a large dose of vitamin C and potassium. Both are a great summer snack!
- Berries: Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are all packed with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Eat them on their own, in a smoothie or make a delicious parfait.
- Kiwi: Add kiwi to your diet, as they’re packed with potassium, fiber and vitamin C. Psst… if you’re adventurous, eating the skin triples the fiber intake and adds in even more vitamin C.
- Apples: Like kiwi, apples are loaded with fiber and vitamin C. Eat it with the skin, which contains lots of antioxidants!
- Oranges/Grapefruit: Both of these fruits will provide you with vitamin C, folate and potassium. Eat either of these fruits to help normalize your blood pressure.