The best foods to eat after exercising
While exercising is extremely important in helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle, the food you choose to eat is just as important. Whether you choose to work out in the morning or at night, it is important to fuel your body with nutritious, wholesome food! The best foods to eat after a workout are carbs and protein, as they help to decrease muscle protein breakdown, increase muscle protein growth, restore glycogen stores (where your body gets it energy from), and enhance your overall recovery.
Next time you do your workout, pack these foods in your Bento box set for a healthy meal on the go! You should aim to eat a full meal as soon as possible after your workout, and ideally within 45 minutes for the best results.
If you’re a morning person and like to do your exercise before breakfast, these foods are best for you:
- Veggie omelet with avocado: Eggs are packed with protein and nutrients, and adding in some vegetables ensures you’re getting the carbs you need to help restore your tired muscles.
- Oatmeal with cinnamon and fresh fruit: Oatmeal is a high-protein, high-fiber food, perfect for boosting your energy stores. Top with fresh fruit and cinnamon for more healthy carbs, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Smoothie: Smoothies are ideal for when you need to rush off to work, and you can sneak in tons of nutritious ingredients! We like to add spinach, greek yogurt, and raw oats into ours for an extra punch of protein and vitamins.
For those afternoon exercisers:
- Chicken with mixed veggies: Chicken provides the protein your body needs to help in its recovery process. By adding mixed veggies, your body can use these carbs to replenish its glycogen stores.
- Salmon with rice and veggies: Salmon is a lean protein, which is essential in cell generation and aids with muscle repair. This meal can also reduce muscle inflammation!
- Turkey wrap with black beans and bell peppers: Whole-grain wraps are an awesome source of carbs! Add in turkey, beans, and peppers for a boost of protein and carbs- perfect for repairing and rebuilding muscles.
Not ready for a full meal? For a small snack after your workout, try chocolate milk, rice cakes with cottage cheese, or a banana with nut butter. Make sure to use our Portion Perfect guidelines for the appropriate portion size of each food!