These foods pack a nutritional punch!
If you’re following a healthy diet, there’s no doubt that you’ve been paying attention to all the superfood fads. Although it seems like there are new ones popping up almost every day, there are a couple superfood staples that we try to always keep on hand.
These foods are affordable, easy to find in the supermarket and there are tons of delicious ways to incorporate them into your diet!
Here are 6 superfoods you can easily incorporate into your diet:
- Almonds: Almonds are often championed as a healthy snack, and for good reason. A great source of unsaturated fat, protein and fiber, they also provide a healthy dose of vitamin E, magnesium and iron. They’re also a great option for people with peanut allergies. Spread some almond butter on your morning toast, sprinkle them on a salad, make your own homemade almond milk or just grab a handful for a snack!
- Avocado: This superfood is full of healthy fats, along with a whole list of vitamins, including C, E, K, B-6, riboflavin, folate, magnesium and potassium. The omega-3 fatty acids in avocados also help in lowering bad cholesterol, regulating digestion and improving vision problems. Aside from your ordinary avocado toast, you can also use it in place of butter or shortening in many recipes or add it into smoothies and salad dressings for a creamy base. Find out more of its surprising benefits here.
- Beans: Rich in protein and fiber, beans can help regulate the digestive tract, lower bad cholesterol, help you lose weight and even help to reduce the risk of diabetes! Many types of beans also have an abundance of antioxidants, B vitamins, iron, magnesium and potassium. This affordable superfood is a great substitute for meat in many of your favorite recipes. You can also use it as a base for a light and refreshing sandwich!
- Blueberries: We love blueberries year-round! This nutrient-dense food is low in sugar, unlike many other fruits. They’re filled with antioxidants, fiber and vitamins K, C and manganese. This makes them helpful for improving memory, helping to prevent cancer, keeping your heart strong and alleviating inflammation, among so many other benefits. Use them to top your yogurt, blend them into a smoothie or add them to your baked goods for a sweet treat!
- Salmon: Salmon can help lower cholesterol, protect against UV damage, prevent eye disease, reduce the risk of heart disease, protect brain health, fight inflammation and help with weight control (just to name a few!) This superfood will provide you with omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, protein and potassium. Baked or smoked, you should make salmon a regular part of your healthy diet!
- Sweet potato: If you haven’t experimented with different ways to eat sweet potatoes, try adding one to your morning smoothie, use as a healthy pizza crust or bake up some delicious sweet potato fries. The antioxidants in sweet potatoes can help fight inflammation, while its dietary fiber content can keep you feeling full. The vitamin C, potassium, beta-carotene and B vitamins can also give you a boost of energy!
You can combine many of these superfoods into this delicious salmon, sweet potato, and avocado kale salad from Slender Kitchen.
Let us know your favorite recipes with these superfoods.